How to Overcome the Sunday Scaries and Stop Dreading Monday
For many of us, Sunday is not the relaxing and rejuvenating day we would like it to be. That feeling of dread that clouds your beautiful weekend is called the Sunday scaries, and it’s more common than you may think — your coworkers likely experience the same thing! Worrying about the coming work week is surprisingly normal, but it can zap your energy before the week even begins and leave you feeling exhausted and unprepared for Monday. To help you alleviate Sunday anxiety and feel ready to face the week, here are some helpful tips.
Develop Healthy Habits to Reduce Anxiety
Engaging in healthy self-care habits like exercise, healthy eating, and getting enough sleep will help ease anxiety and boost your ability to cope with stress.
- Pick up a mindfulness practice like yoga or meditation to gain better control over your thoughts and feelings.
- Guided meditations are a great place to start relaxing. Pick up some headphones so you can listen on the go.
- Turn to tried and true relaxation exercises when you start to feel anxious.
- Whenever possible, get outside and enjoy the healing benefits of nature.
- Fuel your body with brain-healthy foods and avoid those that can contribute to stress.
- Prioritize the importance of a good night’s sleep and take steps to improve sleep habits.
Prepare for the Coming Week
When you feel more prepared for the approaching work week, you’re less likely to feel anticipatory anxiety about the unknowns ahead of you.
- Plan your meals ahead of time to keep your dinners healthy and enjoyable, then go grocery shopping and stock up on everything you need for the week.
- Plan your Monday outfit so you have one less thing to worry about in the morning.
- Write out a to-do list for the week and prioritize tasks that are causing anxiety — these tend to be the ones we procrastinate the most.
- Schedule something to look forward to after work, such as a hot soak in the bath or a coffee date with a close friend.
- Get your house in order fast and don’t waste your whole weekend cleaning!
If your Sunday is fueled by anxiety over the coming week, you’re far from alone. The Sunday scaries can affect anyone. While it can be difficult to enjoy your weekend when you’re dreading the week ahead, prioritizing a little self-care can go a long way toward alleviating anxiety so you can make the most of your Sunday.
About the Author
Elena Stewart is a certified life coach specializing in career guidance, with a background in Mindfulness-Based Meditation, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy. Elena is also a Registered Yoga Teacher.
Visit her site at: elenastewart.com